Times Are A'Changin

An Empire Reborn Forums Byzantine Culture Biblioteca Times Are A'Changin

Tagged: 

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Times Are A’Changin
      My kids tell me I’m older than the hills. Sometimes I feel that way. But not often. Recently I confess they may be right.
      Over my forty plus years teaching at the university/college level there have been changes in the academy and they are not pretty. When I was a pup, professors were looked upon with no little awe and certainly respect. That did not imply we liked a professor nor did the professor really care. He or she was there to teach, not win a popularity contest. Classes were difficult and expected to be so. The professors demanded not only effort, but results. A C grade was common, and an A or B was received with much gratitude. This view is considered quaint by contemporary students.
      Recently I have been called rude or inconsiderate if I corrected a student, even if the student was patently incorrect. When an online course includes discussion boards, some students have criticized me for even participating. A detailed evaluation of a research paper is considered unfair, particularly if critical of the student. What role is reserved for the professor if such attitude is to be taken seriously? Yet many contemporary students vociferously proclaim this “modern” standard.
      I have always considered it my responsibility to offer students a fair, but honest assessment of their performance in a course. This is often rejected by contemporary students. Where does that leave me? Should I simply give a grade – be it good or bad – and nothing further? Frankly I am at a loss.
      Yep, times are a’changin.

Pierre (“Pete”) A. Kleff, Jr.
      University of Dayton (BA) ‘68
      Chase College of Law, NKU (JD) ‘73
      Sam Houston State University (MA) ‘15

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.